The very latest in cross country flying techniques from Burkhard Martens, author of the international best-seller Thermal Flying. Cross Country Flying is aimed at pilots who can already thermal and want to progress on to flying XC, as well as those pilots who already fly XC but want to know more and get better. It features a wealth of information, all of which is aimed at making you a better, more informed pilot, capable of flying further and longer than ever before. This book is an ideal companion to Thermal Flying, and is a must-have for any pilot serious about learning to fly XC and go far.
It includes chapters and information on:
- Pre-flight planning, route-planning and how to use technology to maximize your flight
- Online contest rules and tactics
- Cross country for novices
- Weather, thermalling and understanding best glide
- Understanding best glide and McReady
- Need to know essentials: best time to launch, inversions, convergence, crossing valleys, dolphin-flying, tactics, valley winds and more
- How to fly the mountains
- A special chapter on flatland flying
- In-depth interviews with experts, including Chrigel Maurer, Jocky Sanderson, Ewa Wisnierska and more.
Cross Country Flying also includes detailed information on how to fly some of the best XC sites in the Alps, including Fiesch and the Wallis Valley and Fanas in Switzerland, Pinzgau in Austria, Speikboden in Italy, Greifenburg in Austria, and Annecy in France.
A third section includes in-depth interviews with some of the world's most experienced pilots, including Chrigel Maurer, Jocky Sanderson, Torsten Hahne, Mads Syndergaard, Karel Vejchodsky, Helmut Eichholzer, and Ewa Wisnierska.
A fourth section includes photo essays on these international flying sites: Quixada, Brazil, Manilla, Australia, Iquique, Chile, De Aar, South Africa, Rift Valley, Kenya, and Piedrahita, Spain.9" x 5.5" hardback, 242pp, 2013 ed.